Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Preaching & Teaching – Day 3

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. Only let us live up to what we have already attained. – Philippians 3:12-16



Have you ever read something in Scripture and thought, I just don’t understand? Me, too. In fact in happens to everyone at times. Look at this passage. Paul know that not everyone understood him at first. But he was confident that if his readers would keep working at it, then God would help them understand. Sometimes it takes time for us to grasp things; but don’t worry, we’re not on our own. Even if you don’t feel very good at thinking about certain biblical things, remember the Holy Spirit will help you understand everything you need to know. Our job is to make sure we don’t give up after one try. Studying takes time. So don’t get discouraged if it’s hard at first. It does get easier. Keep at it!

How you react when you don’t understand something the first time?

Go back to a passage you found hard to comprehend and ask God to help you understand it. Spend time really thinking about it.

No comments: