Thursday, October 29, 2009

Going to Macedonia – Day 4

Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles. Moreover, as you Philippians know, in the early days of your acquaintance with the gospel, when I set out from Macedonia, not one church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you only; for even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me aid again and again when I was in need. Not that I am looking for a gift, but I am looking for what may be credited to your account. I have received full payment and even more; I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. - Philippians 4:14-19


Remember, Paul didn’t originally want to go to Europe. But he went there anyway because that’s where God wanted him to go. Paul probably went there somewhat reluctantly, especially if he had his heart set on the province of Asia. But look at the results. Philippi was one the first places where Paul planted a church. Not only did it become an amazingly healthy church, but it was also one of Paul’s favorites. In today’s passage we see how this church supported Paul when no other church would. You may find yourself having to give up something you love or enjoy for an uncertain future. Just like moving to a new town, it’s hard to give up the good things you have for the good things you don’t know about. But trust in God is always rewarded. Change is hard; but when God calls us to change, it will always lead to something better.

What would have happened if Paul hadn’t obeyed God but had gone to the province of Asia instead?

Will you obey God even if it means giving up something you love or enjoy?

No comments: