Thursday, July 16, 2009

Martyrdom Day 4

So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God, who has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel. And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher. That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day. (2 Timothy 1:8-12)


In verse 12, Paul shows us another reason why he wasn't afraid to give his life for Jesus; Pal had given it up already. Paul was firmly convinced that his old self had died when he became a believer and he had become a brand new person. That being the case, no one could take Paul's life from him since he'd given it up years ago. His new life was in Christ; therefore, whatever Christ asked him to do, Paul would do. With this attitude Paul could walk through danger with confidence. In his mind he believed he was already dead,and his new life, which began at his conversion, was waiting for him after death. Knowing God is trustworthy gave Paul the confidence to follow Jesus even to his earthly death.

Have you given your whole life to Jesus? What parts have you kept back for yourself?

Are you convinced God will take care of you no matter what?

Does your life reflect that?

1 comment:

Deb said...

I noticed that Paul walked with confidence, where I often want to just walk without fear. The two are quite different and we need to seek more of the positive from God and less just trying to avoid the unpleasant!

I also realized I have been keeping back part of my life for myself. I tend to keep my home/family life as a retreat, letting only close friends in. Jesus could use me in that setting too, so I need to work on surrendering it to him.