Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Martyrdom Day 2

Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance. I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me. (Phillipians 1: 19-26)


Paul made the ultimate sacrifice when Nero executed him because of his Christian faith. But here we get a glimpse of Paul's attitude about martyrdom. Paul had that long-term view we talked about yesterday and he wanted to be with Christ. But he also knew that as long as he remained here, he could serve the God he loved with his whole heart. Paul's goal was not simply a long life; it was a productive life. Ultimately he just wanted to be wherever God wanted him to be. There's more to your life than simply living. Paul understood, as we all should, that every minute we live surrendered to Christ will benefit not only us, but also everyone we come in contact with.

How would your life be different if you thought the way Paul did?

How are you using the time you've been given to help others know Christ?

No comments: