Friday, May 22, 2009

Week 4: Baptism of the Spirit: The Holy Spirit at Pentecost

Day 4

Ephesians 6:18-20 (New International Version)

18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.

19Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, 20for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.

----------

Why did Paul ask for prayer? Isn't he, you know, Paul? Super-Christian Paul? Paul knew the Spirit wasn't just in him but in all his Christian friends as well. He also knew that God is doing something in all of us--together. This means Paul couldn't be a loner; he needed the help of others. So when you face problems, it's important to ask for help--not just from God but also from God's people. Why? Because God's Spirit is inside all of us. That's why Paul could ask the Ephesians to pray "in the Spirit." Your prayers for others and theirs for you are incredibly powerful. Paul needed those prayers, and we need our friends' prayers as well.

Do you ever ask people to pray for you?

Do you ever pray for others?

Do you really believe prayer will accomplish anything?

No comments: