Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Letters From A Skeptic: The Invitation

The Invitation: To Dad, with Hope


March 10, 1989

Dear Dad:


I trust all is well with you and Jeanne down there in sunny Florida. Aside from a little flu-bug hanging around our house, we are weathering the final - very prolonged - stages of the Minnesota winter pretty well. But will spring ever come?

Here's something that might interest you. Yesterday I was invited by the Islamic Center of Minnesota to publicly debate a very well-known Islamic scholar on the subject of the Trinity at the University of Minnesota. Perhaps against my better judgment, I agreed. This man is a professional debater whose academic credentials are almost encyclopedic! I'm a bit intimidated, but also excited, about the opportunity. It will occur April 13th.

This (sort of) leads me to the main point of my letter. As you know, I teach apologetics here at Bethel. Apologetics is the study of defending the Christian faith against objections which non-Christians have and of presenting positive reasons for the truthfulness of the Christian faith. As academic matters go, it is my first love. My debate with the Muslim scholar in April will be an exercise in apologetics.

What you don't know, because I've never told you, is that I have you to thank for getting me into this field. I want to thank you for this. When I first became a Christian some 14 years ago, you were legitimately concerned that I had gotten myself involved in some sort of mindless cult. (It turns out you weren't very far from wrong at the time!) So you continually challenged my faith with questions and objections. I didn't much appreciate it at the time, but I certainly do now and I love you for it. You forced me to think seriously and critically, about what I believed and why I believed it. You got me into apologetics.

After about a year, however, our discussions about Christianity came to a halt. Your concern lessened, I think, as my Christianity became more mature and less "cultic" and narrow-minded. On several occasions since then I have raised up the issue of Christianity in a general sort of way with you, but we've never really pursued the matter in much depth. And this brings me to the point of this present letter.

Dad, I would really love to enter into a in-depth dialogue with you about why I have continued to be a Christian for the last 14 years. This isn't only, or even primarily, because I love apologetics. It is mainly because I love you. No one can blame another person for wanting to share something which is most valuable to them with another person whom they love, and that is what I'd like to do with you. My faith in Jesus Christ, my experience of His saving power and love, is the single most precious thing in the world to me - and I really believe it is the most precious thing any human being on this earth can have. I also believe that a relationship with Christ is the most important thing a person can have since it has, in my view, eternal consequences.

It struck me as odd and wrong that I spend so much time discussing Christianity with others when I have not discussed it in-depth with my own father; whose care and concern got me into this field int he first place! you're 0 years old now, and frankly, I think it's about time that I began this discussion. It also just seems right, as a part of our father/son relationship, that we be open with one another about our worldviews.

Now I know you, Dad, so I know that my "preaching at you" would do absolutely no good. (I tried that the first year I was a Christian, remember?) Believe me, I have no inclination to do that. What I'd rather propose to you is to engage in an ongoing discussion about Christianity. I'd like to give you an opportunity to share with me all the reasons you have for not being a Christian, and I'd like you to give me the opportunity to share with you all the reasons why I am one.

Would you be willing to do this? I think, at the very least, it would be stimulating for both of us, and we'd get to know each other better. Having one's faith challenged - whatever faith one holds - is always a good thing. If it can't "stand the fire," a faith isn't worth holding - whether it is Christianity or atheism. So, in love, let's challenge one another. What do you say?

Sincerely yours, with hope,

Greg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this letter.

Though it's been months old it has no effect on the impact of the message. Every letter is encouraging and loving.

I came across you blog while searching for 'true perfect love' on Google ;)

Thanks again for posting.

God bless.