Friday, August 7, 2009

The apostle to the Gentiles, Day 5

Pressing on Toward the Goal
Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3: 12-14)


It's tempting to put our leaders on pedestals. They can do more than we can, so we tend to idolize them. Because of that, we can also look down on ourselves. Paul knew the Philippians might begin thinking more of him than they should, so he reminds them that he's growing in Christ as well. Our mentors and leaders aren't better than we are, they've just had more time to work at it than we have. We'll be able to know God as well as they do if we're as diligent as they've been. They aren't superhuman; they're just committed. God uses them as role models to show us it can be done. If we follow in their footsteps, then we'll see the same power and joy in our own lives.

How are you pressing on to be like Christ?

Thank God for the spiritual leaders he's put in you life to show you the way.

1 comment:

Deb said...

This is a really important point. I know I look at some people and think "they are so much holier than I am, I can never measure up." It's good to be reminded that we can only compare ourselves to Jesus, and we all fall short!!

The key is to keep striving to be more like Jesus, and only Jesus - he is the way, the truth and the life. Trying to be like other people because we think they are more like Jesus takes our eyes of Jesus and we can lose focus.

I am so thankful that no matter how far I am from actually being like Jesus, he loves me and accepts me. The same can not be always said for other people!